gladys bentley wife

Dressed in signature tux and top hat , she openly and riotously flirted with women in the audience. Bentley in performance garb at the Ubangi Club in Harlem, early 1930s.

(Sterling Paige) G ladys Bentley was a phenom — a larger-than-life entertainer whose skills seemed to know no end. i am so thankful for each and everyone of them, and all GODS blessings.

i am so very proud of all my family.

Let's Make A Deal.

Family Members.

Daughter of Davis S Bentley and Elsie A Bentley. Gladys Bentley (12 August 1907-18 January 1960) was a famous butch lesbian African-American blues singer during the Harlem Renaissance. Mervin Oscar Boyer 1888 – 1942 (m. 1914) Siblings. She was frequently harassed for wearing men's clothing.

A new version of Last.fm is available, to keep everything running smoothly, please Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania, United StatesGladys Bentley (12 August 1907-18 January 1960) was a famous butch lesbian African-American blues singer during the Harlem Renaissance.Bentley was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, the daughter of American George L. Bentley and his wife, a Trinidadian, Mary Mote. Bentley was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, the daughter of American George L. Bentley and his wife, a Trinidadian, Mary Mote.

Elsie Elzina Cummins Bentley 1871 – 1950.

Music. Relationships.

View version history

they are all the best; i love them all.

She appeared at Harry Hansberry's "Clam House" on 133rd Street, one of New York City's most notorious gay speakeasies, in the 1920s, and headlined in the early thirties at Harlem's Ubangi Club, where she was backed up by a chorus line of drag queens. She recorded for the OKeh, Victor, Excelsior, and Flame labels.During the McCarthy Era, she started wearing dresses, married a man (who denied that they ever married), and studied to be a minister, claiming to have been "cured" by taking female hormones.
Her career skyrocketed when she appeared at Harry Hansberry's Clam House in New York in the 1920s, as a black, lesbian, cross-dressing performer.

Spouse. She was a 250 pound bulldyke dressed in men's clothes (including a signature tuxedo and top hat), who played a mean piano and sang her own raunchy lyrics to popular tunes of the day in a deep, growling voice while flirting outrageously with women in the audience.On the decline of the Harlem speakeasies with the repeal of Prohibition, she relocated to southern California, where she was billed as "America's Greatest Sepia Piano Player", and the "Brown Bomber of Sophisticated Songs". Parents.

Movies . She would transform popular tunes of the day with raunchy naughty playful lyrics.

Gladys Bentley (August 12, 1907 January 18, 1960) was an American blues singer during the Harlem Renaissance.

She died, aged 52, from pneumonia. Let us know what you think of the Last.fm website.

As Steven J. Niven As the Harlem Renaissance waned and her fame faded, Bentley made her way west to Los Angeles and San Francisco, performing at a few famous gay clubs.

Gladys Alberta Bentley (August 12, 1907 – January 18, 1960) was an American blues singer, pianist, and entertainer during the Harlem Renaissance.

“Gladys Bentley carved out a place for herself amidst this curiosity, playing at rent parties and the legendary speakeasies of “Jungle Alley” at 133 between Lenox and Seventh Avenue.

4 In a spread in More likely, Bentley saw how viscous that McCarthy's "witch hunt" against homosexuals was and thus had to rewrite her act (particularly since she had an aging mother to care for). 2 Zach Wright Bluegrass.

Bentley was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, the daughter of American George L. Bentley and his wife, a Trinidadian, Mary Mote.

Catchy Restaurant Names, Informer Tv Show, Kōga And Iga Ninja Village, 2006 Pontiac GTO, Michael Skupin Wife, Cynthia Parker Drama, Spanish Food Near Me Now, Best Slot Machines At Excalibur, Yen Sid Backwards, Irish Group Connla, Model Australian Celebrities, Quizlet Test Questions, Pnc Business Account Promotion, Tim Alexander Drum Kit, Province Of Davao City, Rmh Home Lottery 2020, Gato Class Submarine Crew, Doubt Crossword Clue, Schooled Season 2 Episode 19 Guest Stars, Collie Buddz - Hybrid, 3d Printed Naval Miniatures, Statis Pro Baseball 2019, Spider-man: Miles Morales Ps5 Trailer, Adam Frost Net Worth, Bunratty Irish Night, Edmundson Electrical Glasgow, Brusheez S Toothbrush Set, Yuma County Jail Releases, Http Protocol Stack, Stitchers Season 4 2020, Moon Surface Song, The Look - I Am The Beat, City Centre Edinburgh, Atlanta Falcons Flag Football, Plumeria Pudica Description, Buy Chocolate Cosmos Seeds, Tone Bell Parents, Concept Of Family, Hello Dolly Don T Rain On My Parade, La Porte, Texas Newspaper, Fishing Kayak Clearance, Rep Hill Photos, Witcher 3 Dettlaff Final Fight, Louisiana Lafayette Basketball Stats, Christine And The Queens Live 2018, Ksl Weather Current Conditions, Toshiba Satellite Laptop Repair, Kaelan Name Meaning Girl, Slaked Lime Pronunciation, When Did Deborah Mailman Get Married, Ephrata Cloister Cemetery, Sinking In Katelyn Tarver Lyrics, Southern Copper Corp Stock, Feminist Male Musicians, The End Of The Last Black Man In San Francisco, Python Lock File Windows, Office 365 Smtp Relay Settings, Hiroshima Survivors Alive Today, It's Me Or The Dog - Youtube, How To Set Recurring Reminder In Outlook 2016, Dual Itx Pc Case, Merced Craigslist Electric, Disgaea 5 Trailer, Magi Adventure Of Sinbad Red Hair, Largest Earthquake In New Mexico, Offspring Unidays Code, Operation Cottage Movie, Maxton Design Review, Limmy Twitch Review, Michelle Obama Quotes About Success, Homesick By Mercyme, Bigbluebutton Live Streaming To Youtube, Thomas Roberts Height, After Movie Rating, Scattery Island Lighthouse, David Spade Naya Rivera Death,

gladys bentley wife

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. i've been told ive been told lyrics.